Natural gas and its related risks

Natural Gas

Natural gas is present in parts of the station. And very soon it will be present in most of the stations. This will entail adding new risks to the station. Therefore, we must get to know this new guest and its dangers.

Natural gas is a form of safe, high-performance energy. It is a colorless gas that is lighter than air
Most of its components are methane, which constitutes 95% of its components. The remaining 5% contains other gases such as ethane, nitrogen, propane and heavy hydrocarbons, in addition to plankton such as water and silver.

Where does natural gas come from?

Natural gas is found under the layers of the earth’s crust – below the level of deep water in our case – where it accumulates over millions of years as a result of the accumulation of organic matter such as plants and animals.
The natural gas well is an opening drilled in the rocks through the layers of the earth’s crust and through which the stored natural gas flows under pressure to the top where it is collected.
Then the gas is refined to remove plankton with gas such as water, hydrogen and others.
After purification, it is shipped through the pipeline to the distribution companies.

Facts about natural gas

Natural gas is lighter than air. It evaporates quickly in well-ventilated places, unless it collects in enclosed areas and pockets.
Natural gas with air can be ignited from sparks, electrical switches, or any open flame sources such as matches, lighters, cutting and heating lamps. This may cause a fire or explosion.
Natural gas is non-toxic. But exposure to a high percentage of the gas can lead to nausea and loss of consciousness because it replaces the oxygen needed for breathing.

Natural gas has no smell. Raw gas – which is the gas concerned in our project – has no odor, and therefore the distribution companies add a pungent odor in order to identify it by smelling in the event of any leakage.

Health risks of natural gas


In case of eye or skin exposure. It is not believed that it can cause allergic skin reactions.
In case of gas inhalation. It causes suffocation, as its presence in a high concentration affects the percentage of oxygen available for breathing.
Symptoms associated with gas inhalation. Dizziness, nausea, confusion, interrupted vision, vomiting, loss of consciousness, and death.

Fire and explosion risks


Highly flammable gas

Keep the gas away from any sources of heat such as sparks and open flames, or any other sources such as static electricity, and mechanical or electrical equipment
Volatile gas can reach distances that must be taken into account.
Gas with air forms an explosive mixture (in closed and open spaces as well)
Closed gas containers – such as pipes and tanks – can explode and rupture if exposed to high temperatures as a result of the pressure building inside them.


industrial engineering website that contains engineering information, engineering books, projects, exams, manufacturing, quality, project management, health and safety.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button